Good morning my friends!
Today’s post might seem silly..but humor me for the next few minutes.
Did you know that smiling actually makes you happier? I certainly didn’t until a few years ago when reading The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. It said that whenever you felt down, smile for a few minutes and your mood will elevate. Now.. I thought that was a load of nonsense..until I actually tried it. I think it just felt so silly that I just felt at laughing at/with myself.
Now, I can almost hear some of you asking me, “But wait. Where’s the evidence? The research based facts?”
Well here ya go!
- “Smiling activates the release of neuropeptides that work toward fighting off stress. Neuropeptides are tiny molecules that allow neurons to communicate. They facilitate messaging to the whole body when we are happy, sad, angry, depressed, excited.” -Psychology Today
- Smiling releases the ‘feel good’ neurotransmitters dopamine, endorphins and serotonin. This relaxes your body and lowers your heart rate and blood pressure. -The serotonin acts as an organic anti-depressant or mood lifter!
- “Laughing reduces levels of cortisol, the stress hormone, and gives us a quick burst of energy.” – Net Doctor
- “A good laugh can be beneficial to the lungs, boost immunity, and could even burn off calories.” – Net Doctor
So now you know, smiling and laughing is good for you! It makes you feel good!
A podcaster that I listen to, Jake Nawrocki, swears by something he calls ‘Awesome Sauce’. This is where you tense up your entire body and scream “I AM FREAKING AWESOME” on top of your lungs, as loud as you can. Now, once again, this feels super silly, but once you do it, you feel energized and …freaking awesome!! Check out his podcast Operation Self Reset for a much better explanation!
Now before we all head off into our days, let me give you some tips on how to smile more!
- If you’re in a bad mood, smile! Smile until you feel better.
- If smiling randomly feels too foreign, stand in front of a mirror and smile!
- If you smile with your teeth in pictures, smile like that when you’re randomly smiling! That’s what I do and it helps!
- Smile when you’re happy, you’re bored, you’re angry, you’re hurt, you’re upset, you’re tired. Basically, smile all the time. Obviously you should let yourself feel emotions, but instead of sulking and moping… smile!!
I hope y’all have a lovely day full of beautiful smiles on your faces!