Welcome back friends! I hope everyone is ready for the weekend to get some pampering done. That’s right- pampering is our topic for today.
As social workers, or budding social workers, we have a lot of stress on our plates. I mean, everyone does, but social workers also spend 40+ hours a week 1) problem solving for others 2) helping others cope 3) using lots of our emotional energy.
And I’m pretty sure that while we’re busy helping other people meet their needs, we forget that we have needs of our own! This idea comes back to why self care is so important. If we don’t take care of our needs, then how can we be the best social workers we can be?
So back to pampering. I define it as “unwinding YOU time”. What does that mean?
It means you spending time on yourself. Do something that relieves your stress, something that makes you feel relaxed and calm. I don’t suggest exercising or doing anything else that’s very physically intensive because the point of unwinding is so you can loosen up the tension in your muscles.
Here’s a list of possible activities you can do!
- Book a massage
- Get a manicure and pedicure
- Take a nap
- Drink a glass of wine (safely)
- Play with animals in an animal shelter
- Put on your favorite face mask
- Put cucumbers on your eyelids and listen to music
- Give yourself a foot massage (my favorite thing to do)
- Curl up in your blanket and watch your favorite TV show
- Drink your favorite hot beverage and read a book
It may feel foreign to put yourself first, but it can do you a world of good. Comment below to connect about how you pamper yourself! I’d love to get ideas, for myself!