Good afternoon, friends! I hope your weekend and Earth Day was fun and filled with being in nature. Piggybacking off of Friday’s post, I want to talk about why you should try walking mindfully.
- It connects you to your environment.
- You’re intentionally observing and participating in the experience of walking- the smell of the freshly cut grass, the feel of the wind caressing your skin, the warmth of the sun, the energy from the air flowing in and out of you.
- It helps you get to know your body.
- While you are mindfully walking, you’re noticing how you walk- your posture, gait and balance.
- It helps you connect to the present moment.
- The first two reasons culminate to this- you are in the NOW, not in the past, future, or some alternate reality. You are focused on what is going on around you, not in some fog or head funk.
Why is mindful walking important to social workers and literally everyone else? It gets you out of your office and head. If you’re not able to sit still for 5 minutes and meditate, this is a great alternative. This is a mind and body activity that can help you recenter in the middle of your day.
Try it out and let me know how you like it! I’m going to go for mine in a few hours!